Friday, September 17, 2010

Life Lessons from a Fifth Grade Boy

Theme: This is the topic that we have be focusing on during reading the past couple days.
What is the moral of the story?
What does this story teach us?
What is the life lesson the story tells us?

Today I read the story Sleeping Ugly. Think princess, fairy, evil sleeping spell, and a prince's kiss as the wake up call. Your typical fairy tale with a fun twist. Well after I read the story the students were supposed to respond in their RRJ (reading response journal) about what the theme of the story could be.


Here are a few examples:
"It's what is on the inside that counts."
"Don't judge a book by its cover."

But my personal favorite...
"Don't marry someone, if you don't know their name."

While this is a very true and wise statement, I don't think this was a main and hard core theme of the story. But yet, I can some how see his wisdom through the comment. Very wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment