Sunday, April 3, 2011

Spring Break 2011 (part 2)

2 hours later...

Looking in the rear view we began to see lights. Was death approaching? Was this the proverbial light we hear about when death approaches?

No it was even better... It was the TOW TRUCK!!!

When the tow truck arrived, we met Raymond. Megan and I piled out of the car and gathered all the essential belongings. Purses and the computer...can't leave home with out the laptop. Megan and I made the long trek to the tow tuck and proceeded to climb on in to the cab of the truck, which smelled like a saloon. As the car was being loaded onto the bed of the truck, we were literally rocking and rolling in the truck. It was similar to begin on a ride at Disney where you are strapped into a seat and the platform moves and you watch a video. Super fun!!! Megan decided that she need to put on her seatbelt because we have now decided that we would now die in the tow truck.

Then we were off. Bouncing down the road. And I mean bouncing. Now those of you who know Megan and I, know that during this trek to the Honda Dealership we tried to entertain our new friend. We told him all about our adventure and our future plans. We also told him that we were planning on building ourselves a town next to the car when we thought that we may be stuck there. Well, we eventually got off the highway and Raymond took a wrong turn. So, instead of doing a safe three point turn, he decided to hook a U'ey in the middle of a road. In the process, he drove over a storm drain and landed the truck on the road with a thud. Megan (being addicted to caffeine) had a coke on her hand as we took this turn of death. The coke was in the can one moment and then all over Megan's shirt the next. For the love a Pete!!! Really?!?

We see the Dealership... I do believe the heavens opened up and angels began to sing the Hallelujah chorus as we pulled in. And of course sitting, waiting for us, were the car salesman voltures. Three of them to be exact. They were sitting in a golf cart and you know they were thinking, "Now they NEED a new car."

Megan climbed out of the truck followed by me and we made our way into the building. Raymond was instructed as to where to take my poor car. Megan made a B-line to the restroom, remember the coke and the storm drain.

In the mean time, our newest friend David is hunting for the number for Enterprise rent-a-car. Called the number...closed!!! Are you serious?!?
David got another number for another Enterprise.... OUT OF CARS!!! Now, how does a car rental place run out of cars.
David got another number...closed!!!
Now he hands me the phone book and says, "Good luck!"

We called Avis...they are first in Alphabetical order. They are open and HAVE A CAR!!! We book it and now we have to get to the Savannah International Airport. Call a cab!!! The first cab company I pick, by the picture of course, the number was no longer in service. Are you starting to see a trend here? The next one I pick, again by the picture, knows where we are and is on the way...

30 minutes late NO CAB!!! Now, Megan has made friends with on of the sales guys, Patrick. He has now offered to take us to the airport to get the rental...We call the cab company and they assure us they are in the way...

20 minutes later NO CAB!!! We call again. The cab stopped for gas an turned the wrong way on the street where the dealership is. Apparently, the cab driver and Raymond, the tow truck driver, got their directions from the same place.

Finally, the cab shows up and we get to the airport and get the car.

We bring the rental car back to the dealership so we can put of luggage and other various junk into the rental. As we are unloading the car, I spot a business card stuck to the driver side window. It's from Patrick and it says, "If you are ever in Savannah and need a ride give me a call." I burst into laughter and hand the card to Megan who also bursts into laughter. We decide that we will text him and harass him. Hey he gave us his number.

Also in the process, I forgot that we had opened the case of coke Megan had brought for the trip. Remember I told you she loves her some caffeine. So when I picked it up coke cans went leaping into the parking lot. We had two fatalities and Megan ran them to the dumpster as they are spewing soda all over her. She was determined to be wet and sticky by the end of the trip.

The trip to Florida took 13 hours and it should have been 6. We arrived at my aunt's house at 10:30pm and we left at 9:15 am. Weew. Glad that is over and now we are tan. We are also taking part in all types of vacation type activities ;-0

No comments:

Post a Comment