Friday, November 19, 2010

Kids Say...

We have all hear the saying "Kids say the darnest things" and as a teacher we hear them often. I have medention a few in previous blogs.

http://tigerteacher03.blogspot.com/2010/09/life-lessons-from-fifth-grade-boy.html
http://tigerteacher03.blogspot.com/2010/07/i-was-walking-last-night-around-my.html read #3

Last week I hit the mother load with one particular student. At the time these comments were not funny, but as I look back at them I have no other chose but to laugh.

On Tuesday, he had returned to my room from a visit to the office. I had my teaching partner's class in my room for Science and he was instructed to get his Social Studies materials and go to my partner's room for Social Studies. As he was running and skipping through my room, he begin to yell at the students. "Shut Up!", "Stop Looking at Me!", and then the unforgettable "BREAK Yo'SELF Fool!" He repeated this over and over and over. I responded with, "You are not Mr. T, please stop yelling and calling people fools." Did not help. This behavior continued in my partner's class where three teachers had to figure out a way to make it stop. One teacher would get my student settled, then walk over to another student only to hear ,"Break yo'self fool!" the moment she put her attention on anther student. After further investigation we discovered that this lovely phrase is from the movie Friday. Joy, a 10 year old is watching Friday.

Wednesday he turned The follow assignment:
4. What lesson did the Judge want Manuel to learn?
"Don't drink the juice is you don't know the flavor."

While very wise words to live by, this statement has nothing to do with the story he read. Again after further investigation, we found that this phrase is from the movie Juice, which has been playing repeatedly on Encore lately. Again, the joy I feel toward cinema is overwhelming.

And lastly, my personal favorite:
Thursday on his way to car riders he approached a staff member and ask the following question:
"Yo, Tiffany, Where my ride at?"

As you know calling a teacher by their first name is not our most favorite way to be greeted, and being asked question that end in prepositions is aggravating. Oh the respect children have for adults.

I hope you enjoy this entry of my blog, yo!

No comments:

Post a Comment